Benvenuti / Welcome to
Trivio is a village of medieval origin situated at a height of 238 metres above sea level, overlooking the magnificent Gulf of Gaeta. It is incorporated within the municipality of Formia.
Above Trivio towers Monte Altino with the statue of Il Redentore.
Trivio’s name is derived from the Latin word trivium, meaning "junction of three roads”, the intersection of three routes towards Maranola, Castellonorato and Ponzanello / Mamurrano.
During the time of repeated invasions by Saracen pirates, people left the plains and took to the hills.
A church, which has a decorative bronze door, was founded in Trivio and dedicated to Sant’ Andrea Apostolo, who is the patron saint of the village. Next to the church in Piazza Sant’Andrea is the town clock which dates back to 1842.
Website, text, photos
© LM Shapcott 2009 -
All rights Reserved
Except where photos have been rightfully accredited to the photographer / owner